Sunday, December 12, 2004

Who is John Galt?

Recap - Microsoft homework:

Question #1: What is your 30 second
elevator speech about the product you're working on?

Question #2:
(new) When is it going to ship?

A link and then a link to that
link:

Paul Vick
href="http://www.panopticoncentral.net/archive/2004/12/01/2598.aspx">Black
Hole projects - read the comments, too.
Dare Obasanjo
href="http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=499a10cc-6e84-45
5a-bdef-a84206517cec">White Elephants and Ivory Towers at Microsoft -
links to the above and adds some commentary.

What's one White
Elephant in the room people are ignoring in your group?

I just flipped
through yet another new MSDN Magazine. I was so excited at first because one
of the articles was titled: C++ Rules. Damn straight it does, Sparky!
I flipped to page 58 as fast as I could only to see... what the... MSIL?
JIT? Interop and #pragma unmanaged - oh, crap. They duped me. I flipped back
and forth some more and it was CLR this and managed that. I've really got to
cancel my subscription here. What magazine best channels the spirit of href="http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/">Raymond Chen?

I write
software for the end-user's machine, and it's going to be a pretty fudged-up
day in Hell before I *ship* managed code that gets installed on a user's
machine. It doesn't make sense. Oh, I might write a lot of high-quality
performant memory eating managed code for the foreseeable future. But is it
ever going to ship? Let me grab that Magic 8-ball for second...

Some
of the Ivory Towers had to move to a new lane (off of Longhorn Boulevard)
when actual customer quality standards were set for Longhorn shipping in
2006 (well, plus that 2006 date).

Anyway. So you take your
Waste-o-Meter around Microsoft and find a Black Hole (how many points out of
14?), a White Elephant, or an Ivory Tower. Baby, you're staring at the
problem of us having too many people on the payroll without reasonable
accountability for their results. Trim them all now and at least let them
find another company to work for where they'll have the pleasure of
releasing software that makes a difference in the world.

Why do you
want to work on something that will never, ever, Release To Manufacturing?
Why? Well, why-else besides that mortgage payment?

Gates is no dummy
yet it's a mystery to me the obfuscated end-game he's concocted to let these
people type up a bunch of BS that will never see instantiation outside of
Microsoft. Is he just playing href="http://www.working-minds.com/galtmini.htm">John Galt without the
rest of us being in on the brain harvest he's pulled together (ah-ha-ha,
they work for me producing nothing that will ever compete with Microsoft and
then I emasculate them when the project is cancelled - ah-ha-ha -
excellent!
)?)?

Accomplishment: lots of books and magazine articles
written. Shareholder value: nil. Stock price: flat.



No comments:

Post a Comment